Saturday, November 26, 2011

Only a visit...this time

It's been a little over a week since my parents and I made it to the Bay Area, but there are still a couple days left until we have to make the drive home. Several people have asked if it's been "weird" to be home. I guess it has, but then what hasn't been weird since Sept 3rd???

I do know that I needed this trip and from the moment we pulled into the driveway I've felt home...and missed.
My newly cleaned car was in the garage.
The yard looked better than it has in years (although the bar was set pretty low here).
There was a welcome basket on the counter and...
My house had been cleaned. (This one felt a bit strange because I had left the house thinking I'd be back in a short week and not almost 3 months and I have no idea how big a mess I'd left).
Thanks to all involved.

I've enjoyed the silly things like showering in my shower. Sleeping in my bed. Walking down to my beach and around my town. But these pale when comparing them to seeing my neighbors or when I've walked into the club and out onto the pool deck and visited with my coaches and teammates. It might be awhile until I can live up here on my own, but I will be back.

3 comments:

  1. Ohh nooo! Who stole your house key!? :)

    So glad you got to go explore your hood again, John. Even better that your friends landscaped your back yard! What's THAT all about? : ) Enjoy the rest of your time there and try not to remember the "good ol' days" too much. Instead try and imagine an exciting new start there!

    Love,

    Bern

    ReplyDelete
  2. John--It was so good to see you and have you back home. I look forward to your permanent return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    just found your blogspot. What an amazing journey you have had. You are a true inspiration to all of us Down Under!
    We hope that your upcoming procedures all go as planned. With your courage and character you will be back to finish that race in 2012.
    Also, just a message to your helpers including your amazing family - what heros they are as well.
    Will keep in touch.
    Peter Thiel, Peter Joseph and all the Tattersalls Swimmers in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete