Tuesday, November 15, 2011

It's not just me

Updates first:
  • I saw the hand surgeon yesterday and he told me how happy he was that he was able to straighten my finger by snipping a couple of lateral tendons. He then pulled the staples covering the integra (fake skin), slapped on a band-aid and said he was "optimistic" that he wouldn't have to lop off the finger, and to keep working the PT. Next up is the toe-to-hand, but that's not until early 2012.
  • I then went straight to the pain doctor who said everything looks good and I should re-schedule only if the pain changed. Woohoo!!! One less doctor.
  • PT and a massage today and both ladies are proud of their work (and rightly so).
And this is where today's entry becomes a PSA...

I've made some big gains since Sept 3rd, but all of my recovery would not be possible without my team. This team includes my doctors, the physical therapists and my massage therapists. It also includes all of the people that did not sign up to be in the health care field - especially my sister and her family, my parents and extended family, Grant and the rest of the crew that pulled me out of the water, my sisters friends who have brought meals and run errands, my friends and teammates and also from the fellow swimmers and even strangers who have sent cards, letters and even money.

The rippling effects of accidents and injuries is huge, but so is the effort required for repairs. Thank you for your continued support.

I'm not done. I have a long way to go. For every one time I'm able to buckle the seat belt on my own, there are ten times I'm not able to. I can eat a bowl of cereal on my own, but I can't take the cap off the milk (or lift the bottle if its too full). And on and on.

So, I'm celebrating the victories... but I'm humbled by the enormity of it all. I will be leaning on you (figuratively and sometimes literally) for a long time.

Now up to Half Moon Bay!

No comments:

Post a Comment