Monday, January 9, 2012

Flying solo

This weekend I hopped a flight to visit the Caseys in Scottsdale, AZ.

Only a few months ago this wouldn't have been a big deal, but I am not a frequent flier and currently am far from independent. Luckily, I've been friends with Bill since college and have always enjoyed spending time with his wife and kids which gave me enough motivation to see if I could pull off a solo trip.

The travel part was pretty uneventful minus some fumbling of my ID/ticket and needing a bit more time to stow my luggage.
The low point: Having to ask the clerk to open my newly purchased packet of gum for me.
The highlight: I managed to put on my own seatbelt for the return trip (without causing too much of a scene).

The weekend was very full by my standards.
  • Lots of games of tag and hide-and-go-seek and a botched attempt to help Em learn to ride her bike without training wheels.
  • An early morning hockey practice for Patrick (I still think it was odd that the rink played Adele).
  • Watching Wil team up with a buddy on-line and take on the survival rounds of MW3.
  • Barely keeping my king alive in 2 games of chess with Madison.

This on top of games of mega monopoly (watch out for Patrick), bridge and spades.

I barely had time to pet Bently and Mudpie.

Every time I visit my friends with kids I realize that although I "could" be a parent, I think everyone is much better off that I'm only cheering from the sidelines.

I just hope I can keep getting invited to play.

I

No comments:

Post a Comment